Friday 25 January 2013

Work Experience/Internships

Tonight I thought that I would write a blog post about my experiences with looking, and applying for some work experience, or an internship in the photography world.

Looking for this type of work, and experience is far from easy, it takes a lot of hard work, research and networking to find things that are appropriate for you to apply for. It isn't as simple as typing a few words into Google and hoping for the best, you have to research different websites, different photographers work, their companies, their team, every little detail. You have to be able to understand the nature of their photography business and what they strive on achieving in order to ask yourself whether they might be interested in the abilities that you own. I knew that applying for work experience or an internship wouldn't be easy before I even started, as I know from experience that a lot of newspapers now use freelance photographers who work from home due to the current economy and recession, but I wanted to throw myself into the deep end and swim. I am determined to achieve it, and I know that I will be able too. I have a lot of ambition, and drive and I know that having this type of experience would be challenging, but I also know that it would be the most rewarding experience that I could ever have, so I don't plan on giving up anytime soon. Whenever I meet new photographers, I always learn something new about them, whether that be about how they found their love for picture making, or their style. I love learning new things, and I don't think that I will ever stop. 'You learn something new every day' as the saying goes.

Most photographers don't know their timetable one week to the next so that puts a massive strain on achieving such experience and work. Being a photographer isn't a 9am to 5pm job, it is a job that challenges your ability to produce photographs in the most difficult of situations. Your heart and sole has to be put into the hours as they are sometimes long and tiring, but to me, every challenge that I overcome turns me into a stronger photographer. I strive on finding challenges, and breaking them down little by little in order to accomplish them. Festival photographers normally work from the early hours of one morning, to the early hours of the next producing work. 

At such a young age I have already been so incredibly fortunate to have experience such amazing things, and I plan on achieving many more of my life ambitions yet.

If any photographers or anyone else know of any photography related work, work experience or internships available within the photography world, please send me an email on: sophie@sophieelbourn.com.

Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment