Tuesday 29 January 2013

Business

So at the moment my life is a bit of a whirlwind. One minute it is up, and the next it's down. It's pretty hard to keep my head in the game, but I've got my goal in sight, and I know that good things come to those who wait. One project that I am going to start working on is 'Solex Photography'. The project is a collaboration between myself and a fellow class mate and photographer Alex Compton. Solex Photography will be offering reasonably priced studio shoots in Caerleon, Newport. Alongside this project I am also contemplating starting my own business as a self employed photographer 'Sophie Elbourn Photography'. I have already started throwing myself into the business world after my father kindly purchased some business books for me.
The BFP Freelance Photography Course (left) explains more about the practical side of photography, but it is useful. The Freelance Photographer's Market Handbook 2013 29th Edition (right) is a very interesting and useful book to have as a freelance photographer. It contains names, numbers, and addresses of a large majority of businesses ranging from fashion, to sports, to newspapers, to scientific. The format is easy to read, and if you know what you are looking for, then it is very easy to read.

I know that going into business will be hard due to the current economic climate and the increasing number of the public who have named themselves to be a photographer. This, I believe, is due to the invention of high definition cameras that have manufactured into smart phones such as the iPhone. The public now have the ability to photograph anything that they want too, and the invention of Instagram isn't helping either. The world of photography is a difficult nut to break, but I have so much drive to break it. I have the ability and skills needed to compete, and even though I acquire these things, I will forever be learning new techniques, and much more in the sports field. I have to form a plan of action consisting of a business plan, a large depth of knowledge involved in the business, each spread sheet, cash flow forecast, each little detail, but I'm prepared and willing to make this work.

No comments:

Post a Comment